Monday 14 November 2011

10 kgs for my Mum.


I recently by chance bumped into one of my oldies. A photo of me after I had added 40kgs or so with two kids. For those who are first time on this blog, I have shared about my weight loss process. The grace and the journey. Please read that here.

All the same, this photo reminded me of a conversation that took place between my mum and her friend. I had gone to visit my mum and her friend was shocked to say the least to see how I had added loads of weight. After she had made her comments on my extreme weight gain, I told her, “don’t worry, I will work at it, once I am done with giving birth”.

My Mum, went on to affirm my words. She responded to her friend by saying “I know her very well, once she sets her mind on something, she does not rest until it is done, I am so sure she knows what she is saying-she will definitely loose it all”.

Well, to be honest, those words from my Mum pierced through my soul and built a confidence that I did not have. Whether it was by design or by default, they did good to me. I knew I had a huge task ahead, but if my Mum had so much confidence in me, then I could do it, my faith was now 10 times better.

Okay- this is me, 30 years later and my mum’s words still mean so much to me. Well, I encourage you Mums, affirm your children, that is all they could be looking for, they need to know you believe in them, that you have confidence in them and that you care. Though I worked through the process and lost around 40kgs, I give credit to the loss of 10kgs to my Mum, her words pushed me far.
This is a recent one of me with my kids after loosing a number of kilos. I have added this photo because Sylvia has requested that I add a recent photo it so that people see what I am talking about.

Choose to affirm your children this week and always.

3 comments:

  1. "Choose to affirm your children this week and always."

    Those words are a blessing for children. My Mum (though she loved the Lord and served Him well) could not be an encourager. For all we know, she may have been experiencing an effect of her illness earlier than its physical effects -- she was diagnosed in her early 50's with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. As one doctor said, a "mean disease." Your Mum's encouragement will be pass along to your children, and they will be blessed by it. For those who have lacked this encouragement, now is the time to give it to others, and accept it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title. Those words of encouragement are priceless. It made me think of my mum and how valuable her encouragement has been in my life especially when my patience almost ran out. I have has her say, "just be patient it will come to pass". I has waited over one year for my husband to get a work transfer near home. I purpose to affirm my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice weight loss journey! I felt encouraged!

    Nancy.

    ReplyDelete