Friday 18 January 2013

The gardener



As a young girl in the village. My mother gave up all hope that I could be of any use in her garden.  We had a small garden and every time we tried to do some gardening, she would literally throw me out.
 But she always made comments like; 
 “I pray to God that you will excel in your academics, get employed, so that when you grow up you will hire a gardener to take care of your garden. Otherwise if you ever get married in a village where you have to till the land, I am 100% sure that your husband will bring you back to me because you just can’t cope!!!!” (Please read that loudly because she would shout as she says it!!!)


Well, that was my Mum. For some reason it never bothered me and her prayers were heard.  I now have a sizable garden in my backyard and a gardener and I do well with my supervisory role and yes, I thrive in my office.

 And guess what I supply my mum with spinach when she needs them. 

Spinach from the Shamba ( garden)
  
Free range eggs from the chickens
  
Beans
 
 Capsicum and much more on my little Shamba.


3 comments:

  1. how fun!! we are hoping for a small shamba in the back yard when the weather warms up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted pictures from my small garden on my old Multiply page and on FB. I have a 'black thumb' where what I plant eventually dies of some weird thing (hmmmm - sometimes for lack of watering, or even over watering. Strange.) What is wonderful is to know that a mother's prayers - even given loudly in our Lord's ears - are answered! May your shamba grow well and everyone thrive from your Mum's answered prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I love this! could we have a pic of the garden too?
    I so love kitchen gardens (though I do not have one yet).

    oh, The power of the tongue!

    ReplyDelete